Friday, March 4, 2011

Ara: Episode 2

As Ara grabbed her messenger bag and keys, she double checked for her Blackberry and wallet. When she found her phone, she noticed the blinking red light signifying a new message - secretly hoping it was a text from her newest crush, then thinking, oh wait he doesn't even have my phone number. With a roll of her eyes at her own silliness she clicked the phone and saw it was a new email - a personal one at that and from an address she didn't recognize.

"It's Been A Long Time, Ara"

was the subject.

Now that sounded intriguing and almost better than a surprise text from a secret crush.

Checking the clock, she still had 10 minutes before she absolutely had to leave and reading it on the computer would be so much easier than that tiny phone screen. She relished few more seconds of mystery as to who the author was as she rattled the mouse, waking up the computer from its nap.

The email was much shorter than it seemed on her phone, now on the big screen, she easily saw the end of the email

Always yours,
Luca


Her heart fluttered and almost stopped as time slowed; the world seemed to disappear all but the name on the screen.

She wasn't sure if 10, no, 9 minutes was enough time to digest what was about to come. It'd been what, 9 years... 9 minutes... always 9 with him. They'd been together (sort of) for 9 years - grown up together in that other home. Had he done it on purpose - waiting 9 years until just the right day? checking the date she realized it wasn't the 9th, but w/ a quick addition realized the date did add up to 9. She snorted as the irony? and her irritation drew her back to reality.


Dearest Ara,
It has been 9 long years since you disappeared. After you left, it broke my heart to not leave and look for you. Every day for months it was all I could do to not drop everything and come look for you. Knowing you wanted to leave and be alone was a daily reminder and I wanted to respect that. And to be honest, being hurt and stubborn kept me from going as well. My duties nearly doubled with you not there and your sister was none too happy - she decided giving me your share would be punishment and preoccupation from going after you.

Your departure inspired many others to leave as well and within a few years your sister decided it was time to have an overseer on this side. So many of ours are here now and there is much communication between the two sides. I stay rather busy with traveling and recent years brought me to the city so frequently I decided to move here a few months ago. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I felt a strong pull from you, though I could never explain it and most of the time just pushed it aside. I thought if you wanted me, you had the power to easily find me.

Which brings us to my writing you now.

As you know I have a penchant for walking. After I moved here I made a creative plan of walking every block of every street. Until one day I saw you walking straight towards me, looked right at me in fact - but I've gotten quite good at my glamour (you would be so proud) as I've found it necessary to stay hidden even here because of the rapid increase in our numbers, and... well, there is much I should explain. Regardless, you didn't notice me, or at least it didn't seem to register if you did.

I was too startled to know what to think or do, but within a few seconds you had turned and walked in to The Cafe - and with such purpose I figured you'd either become a coffee addict or you worked there. I wanted to follow but felt at a total loss nor did I trust that revealing myself would not cause a total scene.

A little bit of searching easily found your email (nice articles about the spiders by the way - you do love some irony). Over the years I've thought of you so often, but never as much as the past few months. The sight of you was intoxicating, knowing you were here and so close.

I feel a bit presumptuous in saying I hope I hear from you and maybe even see you or see each other rather, as my subtle stalking has given me brief glimpses of you. It's just... not enough Ara. I miss you. There is so much I want to tell you and so much I want to hear. I fear this has all been too wordy and disjointed... I would love a response or a call even, if you feel like it.

Always yours,
Luca
777-575-5416


Ara's head was spinning. Luca. How many times she had thought of him, dreamed of him. She felt totally stunned as she made her way out the door - phone in hand and opening up the email again. She'd become so absorbed rereading it over and over, she didn't realize she was on the subway until the large thighs of the uh, big, woman squeezed in next to her. Had she missed her stop already? Why had she not just called in sick? Could she even concentrate on dealing with customers today if she had somehow made it all the on the train without noticing?

Checking the time again she realized she indeed had not missed her stop. She had the timing down to a precise science and knew there was still another 4 minutes until she had to get up. That was time enough to get her head clear. Closing her eyes, she took a few deep breaths.

*****



Luca sat with his eyes closed feeling absorbed in the song - he'd put it on repeat since finishing the email to Ara. It had been included in the email, then he deleted it at the last minute. Thinking, well, maybe it just would have been too much. As if the email wasn't? Slight notions of panic rose and fell as he took a few deep breaths. He would never get over her, but he needed to be okay with the fact she may not respond. With his eyes closed and breath coming more easily he watched the feelings spin around, the panic beginning to fully subside as acceptance took it's place. It was sent, nothing to do now but relax and try not to feel like he was waiting. He checked his watch, still early, but maybe not too early to go ahead and start the daily rounds, especially if a walk by the The Cafe was in order.


---------

til next time, xoxo

1 comment:

  1. ok, now you have me intrigued. must catch up on the beginning.

    ReplyDelete